What is the Child Death Overview Panel (CDOP)
The Safeguarding partnership Board (SPB) is responsible for ensuring that a review of each death of a child normally resident in Jersey is undertaken by a CDOP. To this end, a CDOP has been established between the Islands Child Protection Committee (ICPC), Guernsey and Alderney and the Safeguarding Children Partnership Board (SPB), Jersey. This panel will consider all child deaths under 18, excluding still births and planned terminations. The role of the panel is advisory; it will consider the circumstances of individual cases, contributory factors and preventability.
What does CDOP do?
CDOP will make recommendations for action to ICPC & SPB to prevent future similar deaths; identify patterns and trends; make SCR referrals as required; agree local procedures and provide an annual report to the SPB.
How to report a child death to the SPB in Jersey:
The Safeguarding Partnership Board (SPB) has developed Multi-Agency Procedures in the case of Child Deaths in Jersey, based on best practice guidance from England, which provide a framework to be read in conjunction with Chapter of 5 of Working Together to Safeguard Children 2015.
Partnership arrangements locally are set out in a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), which clarifies expectations on organisations with regard to safeguarding and working with the SPB.
All cases of child deaths in Jersey must be notified to the Safeguarding Board Manager, who is the Designated person in the SPB responsible for collating child death information; notifications may come from any professional involved with the case.
Forms and templates to report child deaths:
- Download the Initial referral information form (Form A)
- Download the Agencies contact details form (Form A1)
- Download the Jersey agency report form (Form B1)
- Download the Jersey neonatal death form (Form B2)
- Download the Jersey life limiting condition (Form B3)
- Download the Jersey Sudden unexpected death in infancy (SUDI) (Form B4)
- Download the Jersey Road Traffic Accident form (RTA) (Form B5)
- Download the Jersey Drowning form (Form B6)
- Download the Jersey Fire Burns form (Form B7)
- Download the Jersey Poisoning form (Form B8)
- Download the Jersey other non intentional injury form (Form B9)
- Download the Jersey substance misuse form (Form B10)
- Download the Jersey apparent homicide form (Form B11)
- Download the Jersey apparent suicide form (Form B12)
- Download the Jersey summary of autopsy findings (Form B13)
- Download the Jersey Analysis Proforma (Form C)
- Download the Jersey Rapid Response audit tool (Form D)
- Download the Child Death Overview Panel audit tool (Form E)