This course is suitable for professionals from either the statutory or voluntary services who work directly with children, young people and their families. It provides common core skills and knowledge and would suit staff who need more than a basic level of understanding for safeguarding children and/or require refresher training on safeguarding and working together.
To enable practitioners working with children and/or families to understand safeguarding and child protection processes, and relate these to their role and responsibilities within their work and the wider organisation.
By the end of the course the participants should be able to:
- Identify the signs and indicators of abuse relation to vulnerable groups of children and young people
- Name the relevant legislation and guidance that provides the framework for safeguarding children and young people
- State the 7 key principles of information sharing and identify best practice in recording safeguarding information
- Respond appropriately to a disclosure or allegation of abuse
- Know where to access local Multi Agency Safeguarding Procedures and be clear about how we safeguard children in Jersey in line with the SPB Guidance: ‘Understanding the Continuum of Children’s Needs (2020).’
- Know when concerns should be passed on to MASH and be able to make a MASH enquiry.
- Outline some of the current issues in relation to safeguarding children and be able to share these with your colleagues
Skills Jersey is located at Bermuda House, Green Street, St Helier (between the car park and the roundabout). Public parking is available at Green Street car park.
Lunch and Refreshments
Teas and coffees are provided at break times, however, you will need to make your own arrangements for lunch.